Monday 15 October 2012

PRINCE FROM ANOTHER PLANET!


So what's the point? Does the world really need another Elvis obsessive rambling on about the King and even if it did, then why would anyone want to listen to what I have to say? Well, and here's the punchline, this blog isn't for you, nor is it aimed at anyone at all, so you might as well stop reading now. OK? OK!
Oh, you're still here? Right, now we've gotten rid of that lot, I'll continue...But first, some Elvis music...



The reasons for starting this blog? "The Prince from Another Planet" (an New York Times headline following Elvis' sold out run of shows at New York's Madison Square Garden in June 1972) is my own personal take on Elvis based on musings from over thirty five years of listening to his music. Twenty five years of that, at a level most folk would describe as obsessive. Whilst my obsession with Elvis and his music has been with me since I was a kid, it's only now that I have the urge to write about it. For myself, to put the whole listening experience into words and maybe increase my own appreciation for it. If you want to read it, feel free. Leave a comment if you have anything constructive to say...


Unlike many Elvis fans I've met and corresponded with over the years, I love and listen to many different genres and eras of music, from Country and Blues through to Punk and Metal. Whilst this isn't a qualification of any sort, it maybe gives me an outlook and opinion unique in comparison to many Elvis magazines and web pages you may have already looked at. So, in future posts I'll be looking at two main areas of his career; the 1950's and his later career as a live entertainer from 1969 - 1977. I'd rather forget about 99% of his 1960's film soundtracks and movies, thanksverymuch! I'm not a fan of that nonsense and in most cases would never wish to hear or watch them again. My 'real Elvis' is the young man who woke up the world back in the mid 1950's and especially the mature entertainer that thrilled live audiences on stages all over the USA between 1969 and 1977. So, that'll be the focus here. 

Thanks for listening,

Steve 

No comments:

Post a Comment